As the seasons change, homes become more prone to water damage. We want to help you reduce the chance of water damage in your home.
Here are some helpful tips to reduce the risk of water damage in your home:
- Keep all outdoor drains clear of leaves and obstructions
- Clear eavestroughs and downspouts so water is directed away from your home
- Ensure there is proper grading around your home
- Install a sump pump and/or backflow valves
- Elevate your furnace, water heater and electrical panel
- Store important documents and personal objects where they cannot be damaged
- Keep expensive personal property off the basement floor
- If your basement is prone to water damage or flooding, don't finish it
- If you are planning to be away, have someone check your property
These are just a few steps you can take to help protect yourself against water damage.