By implementing green solutions around your home, you can save yourself money and help the environment. Simple lifestyle changes can have a large impact around your home.
- Get a Rain Barrel – Most municipalities sell rain barrels at reduced rates, and they are a great way to collect the rain water from your eaves troughs and water your garden
- Monitor your Laundry Habits – By doing laundry at off peak times you can typically save yourself money, and also use less water by waiting until you have enough for a full load
- Lighting – You can install LED or other low output lightbulbs that use less power and last much longer than standard incandescent bulbs. By installing dimmers or motion sensors you can also reduce your energy consumption
- Water Consumption – The average cost to fill a 750 ml water bottle from the sink is around $0.0011. By installing a water filter or purifier, you can ensure that you are getting clean water and saving money by not having to buy bottled water.
- Heating and Air Conditioning – Using a programmable thermostat can ensure that you are only using the energy when you need it. In the summer, opening windows and using fans can also help reduce the use of air conditioning
- Check for Drafts – By caulking any cracks around windows or doors, you can make your home more energy efficient and ensure that you aren’t running your heat or A/C constantly
By implementing just a few of these solutions you will be able to save yourself some money and also help the environment.