Cycling is a great way to enjoy the outdoors. Whether you are going for a leisurely ride through the park, or commuting to work, cycling is fun, healthy, and good for the environment.
- As mandated by Ontario law, you must give cyclists at least 1 meter of room when passing. Motorists are permitted to cross the centre lane in order to safely pass a cyclist. If you are unable to pass safety, you must wait behind the cyclist until it is safe to pass.
- Stay alert when parked curbside and opening your car door to prevent "dooring" a passing cyclist
- Pay attention when turning across bike lanes and always shoulder check for cyclists.
- All cyclists under 18 are required to wear an approved bicycle helmet when travelling on a public road
- You must stay as close to the right edge of the road as possible, especially if you're slower than other traffic
- Your bike must be equipped with the proper light, reflector and reflective requirement
As we move to more complete streets in our neighborhoods and communities, please stay alert and help keep the streets safe for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.
For more information on rules and requirements details visit: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/bicycle-safety.shtml